Search engine optimization has become much more challenging recently after Google’s Penguin and Panda updates. In the past, it was all about getting thousands of backlinks to your site and repeating target keywords. However, in the last few years, Google has made many significant updates to its ranking Algorithm. SEO for a dating site has also become much more challenging.
There are several things to check on your website before presenting it to Google.
Target keyword & its synonyms placement:
You need to make sure your landing page mentions the target keyword that you want to rank for, as much as possible such as within:
– The content
– Meta title and description
– The headings
– The URL
It is also good idea to add synonyms of that target keyword. For example, if you want to rank for “UK dating”, add this keyword to the content and possibly “dating in the United Kingdom” too.
Last but not least, don’t forget about long-tail keywords. It is accepted that it is easier to rank for long-tail keywords and they would have higher conversion rate. If you are targeting “disabled dating”, consider targeting keywords like “deaf people dating in the UK”, “deaf people dating in London”, etc.
To Index Dating Members’ Profile Pages or Not? Members can bring you SEO traffic
If you let Google index your member profile pages, as long as it is within the terms & conditions, this could potentially bring you a lot of traffic. However, if you are going to do that you should ensure that member profile pages have enough content. Because, having too many similar pages might cause duplicate content issues that Google hate! Therefore, you might consider indexing the profile pages which have most of the profile sections filled and enough textual description about the member.
When you decide to index Profile pages, ensure the following points:
– Create a unique Meta title & description for each member page for example;
Title: <Member’s Nickname>, <Member’s Sex>, <Member’s Location>, <Your Brand>
Description: Do you want to meet <Member’s Nickname> or other <Member’s Sex> in <Member’s Location> area? Join <Your Brand> Now for Free!
– Make sure profile pages have enough content; you might think about creating a new member group for those members who filled all the sections and have written at least 200 words about themselves, and letting Google index only those profile pages. You will need to speak to your web developer for this.
Create Content Pages for Target Keyword Groups
You probably have tons of keywords you want to rank for and you cannot target all these keywords just at the homepage. Therefore, we advise you to create unique pages about your diverse target keywords. Some points to consider:
– Create content pages for group of keywords which are similar; don’t create keyword for each keyword. For example, you can create a page about dating for Londoners, London dating, dating in London, etc.
– Again, ensure your Meta title, descriptions are written cleverly adding your target keywords within
– Try to link to those content pages from the homepage, so that your homepage’s authority helps content page to be indexed faster and rank better.
Link building; building trust
Link building is a very challenging task for several dating sites, as it is not that easy to find sites which will naturally link to your site. Google is penalizing tons of sites every day for unnatural link building practices such as buying links, getting links from adult sites or very low quality sites, or link farms, excessive anchor text linking, etc.
Link building should be done very carefully not to risk any penalization from Google. Some important tips on your link building strategy:
– Get links from relevant sites, such as dating and relationship blogs, or highly authority sites
– Be careful in getting links from dating directories; there are tons of paid dating directories out there. However, their impact is usually very low or sometimes they have toxic affect in your SEO, as many of these directories are known to sell links and include lot of adult links as well.
– Create keyword variety in your anchor texts in link building. This is very vital, as many sites which have high percentage of same anchor text links, are penalized by Google’s Penguin update. Make sure that your links point to your site naturally. Anchor texts should have a good mix, for example; 50% of links have your URL as anchor text, 10% of them have your target keywords and its synonyms, 10% have your target keyword + URL or your brand.
– Get links only from good sites; sites to target for getting links should have a mix of PageRank and should have Domain Authority of 20+ (Moz.com criteria), Trust Score of 15+ (MajesticSEO criteria). And such sites should not be selling links blatantly.